Monday, November 29, 2010

Oh dear... I haven't posted in a while.... Ah well

I woke up on Saturday [at 8:00am[dunno why so early]] and look out the window to see WHITE EVERYWHERE

I then see my dog sniffing the snow [he had no clue what it was] and circling the house, admiring the blanket of pure white that lay all around

I, however, took to this weather slightly differently

Depriving myself of any food for hours, I send a text to my friend saying "Lego snowmobile competition, GOGOGO"

Damn right.

I set down to design my first model.

Original snowmobile design, thick tank-like tread at the back, steering ski'like things at the front;
It fails miserably.

I start on a new project, three powered back wheels,normal steering at the front;
Again, this fails miserably

I try a more basic approach.~
I build a simple tank with two powered tread, skid steering, with pins galore sticking out of the treads.....
Success!


-ish....

It does... alright, but isn't geared down enough, and fails at much more than 10 degree slopes... but if it does manage to climb up a slope, it topples over backwards...
The treads are also a bit unstable and tend to jump around the sprockets...

I then go over to my friend's house, and see he already has his prototype done, same as my first, but with better done steering, and a smaller back tread...

He tests it out for the first time...
The back tread starts to spin...
and sinks down into the snow.

I lol'd.

He is currently now making more surface area for the back tread.

I however, continued to upgrade...

I make wheels hanging from the back with shock absorbers, to stop it toppling;
I make the motor to sprocket speed ratio even lower, going from 5:3 to 5:1;
I make the run around the sprockets much more smooth, as well as making the gripping surface area much larger;
And just for show, I make a second pair of treads without the pins galore for smoother surfaces than snow...
I'll be testing it tomorrow, to see how well it goes, Pics will follow soon, once I find the webcam...

ohh it's midnight... zero o'clock...
always found that sorta scary... as if time doesn't exist any mo... oh, wait, it's one minute past.

Never mind

Disputatio tibi posterius.

2 comments:

  1. Schway :D
    Hows the Warthog coming along?

    You should really try putting a jump into your posts...

    ReplyDelete
  2. A "jump" into my posts?
    ...
    You're going to have to elaborate.

    The warthog, at the moment?
    ...
    Nonexistant...
    That'll be my next major project...
    But don't expect it anytime soon, it'll take a good while to build... Seeing as it has this epic unique steering system...

    And the sheer SIZE of it...

    ReplyDelete