Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Concerning Labels, Surface Area and Birthday Parties

Oh my, the family issue has appeared to have gone away for the time being, so back to the build of Cosmhór (like the name?)

Well, Though I did get to test it for a bit today, I forgot to bring any form of camera with me, so still no pics...

=[

However, a fresh fall of snow had fallen in the hours before my test, and so the snow was very... soft.

It sunk right in.
So, I realised I needed modifications...

Again.



To start, I took the secondary pair of treads I made, and began to collect enough pins to attach them to the original pair...

Then, having gotten all of the pieces necessary for attaching the second pair of treads, I did joined them on, and gave it a quick test on the floor...

oooohhh dear...

Bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump......
I had used some longer pins for extra grip, but they were way out on the secondary treads, and it was making the double-treads unstable

so...

I precariously change all 36 of the beams joining the treads so that the longer one was nearest the vehicle, thus making it not bend...

But then I had an idea...

Scrounging up all of the pins I could find, I put 2 extra pins on every join, and, including the long ones that stuck out originally, there are now 3 on every join, and there is one join every 2 pieces of tread, making 36 joins altogether, and seeing as 2 pins are needed along with the one long pin to join each of the joins to the treads, that makes a grand total of...

180 pins!

I may need some more...

Anyway, It now has double the surface area, and looks like a monster.

All in all, It's looking pretty shweet so far...

But I heard of my friend's progress not too long ago...

He has, as I suggested, created more powered surface area. In fact, he has tripled the surface area of the treads at the back, and doubled the surface area of the skis at the front, and so making it (hopefully for him) able to go on softer snow.

I rather doubt it.
With the softer snow comes much less ability to grip the snow.
With much less ability to grip the snow comes much more need for driven surface area.

I have NO static surface area to compensate for this, as is why my first attempt failed
My friend, however (whom I shall call cheese from now on as I could not be bothered to repeat 'my friend' all the time) Is making one which relies entirely on the front skis (static) to keep it on the snow.

Coughwillfailcough

On a different subject, the snow has gotten quite severe over the past day, and so it is expected that it will not thaw until at least Thursday... after next! (aka the 9th of Dec).

This poses quite a problem...
Firstly, we were supposed to starting our science practicals this week, but are obviously going to have to be postponed until the week after next...

Secondly, I haven't seen my girlfriend since last Friday, and I'm beginning to feel like I should chat to her, but she has no credit (grr).

But, most importantly, there WAS going to be a joined birthday party for two of my friends last Sunday, but the snow is postponing that until further notice... And then guess what tomorrow is?

Another birthday...
Oh great.
Ah well... there's not much anyone can do against immeasurable odds, but I have a few ideas...


Oh! I almost forgot.
It was only today I realised you could put tags on your posts, so here goes...

Btw what is with the time that comes up when I publish a post? I don't live in America

Disputatio tibi posterius.

2 comments: